If you are looking to do a home improvement project, metal furniture should be one of the items on the list. This is because metal furniture is very versatile and can be fitted to different décor styles; vintage, contemporary or minimalist. You can also easily deploy multi-purpose metal furniture that will be useful both indoors and outdoors. Buying metal furniture is relatively straightforward if you know what kind of metal you want. If you are new to metal furniture, you could use a few tips on how to go about it.
Types of metal furniture
- Aluminum – This type of metal is preferred for its light weight. Furniture items can be crafted from tubing or casting. Aluminum is rust proof making it ideal for the outdoors. It is also easy to clean as this can be done by scrubbing with water without the risk of rusting.
- Iron – This metal is hard and heavy. It is mainly used for decorative pieces particularly using wrought iron which has been a favorite with metal smiths for a long time. Its main shortcoming is that it rusts.
- Steel – This metal which is made of iron as an alloy has the advantage of being lighter and more flexible than pure iron. When looking for steel furniture, go for galvanized steel or stainless steel which does not rust.
Types of form and finishing
Different craftsmen have different ways of working the metal and decorating the final product.
- Wrought – This is where the metal is heated into a pliable form then hammered into shape. This method is ideal for making slender decorative pieces and curved patterns.
- Casting – This method involves melting the metal and pouring it onto a mold where it sets into the wanted shape. This method is used when making numerous pieces of the same form and size.
- Powder coat finishing – This is a type of finishing where rather a coat of electrostatically charged liquid containing resin and pigment is sprayed on the metal surface. This makes it adhere better than common paint. It is also scratchproof.
Choosing the style
There are basically two ways to style with metal furniture:
- Metal only- This is where you set only metal items. This is ideal where the furniture is subject to rough handling and heavy winds if it is to be placed outdoors. This look is sleeker and more angular more suited to the contemporary styles.
- Metal and other items – In this style, you mix the metal furniture items with other material like wood or fabric. For example a dining set having metal chairs and a solid oak table is vintage style. This styling is appropriate indoors.
There are many other considerations to make when buying metal furniture but with these basics, you are bound to get it correct.